An electrical panel holds the circuits and distributes power to your electrical system, and maintaining its functionality is a must. But you don’t want to spend money on an improvement that doesn’t really offer anything, essentially wasting your money. On the flip side, you can’t disregard a necessary upgrade, as going without one might exacerbate a recurring electrical problem. Fortunately, there are common signs that point out your electrical panel might need an upgrade. Identifying these issues will give you peace of mind as you consider the best option for your Carson City home.
The experts at The Happy Outlet have compiled a list of signs to be aware of:
Noticeable Panel Damage
- Cracks, corrosion, and loose connections are a sure sign your panel requires an upgrade.
- Check for any burn marks, or if the panel feels warm to the touch.
- Damage to a panel can be caused by faulty wiring, short circuits, and deterioration from age.
- Damaged panels require immediate attention, as letting them persist can cause serious damage to your electrical system.
- Electrical panels are designed to distribute power to your home via circuit breakers, but if this power reaches a dangerous level, your panel trips to avoid damage or an electrical fire.
- Constant tripping means your panel either cannot handle the current voltage, or there is a problem with the electrical system itself.
- Regardless of the reason, having your panel trip regularly means an upgrade is needed.
- Flickering lights can mean your panel is not working properly, especially if it happens when you turn on another appliance.
- If you turn on an appliance and your lights begin to flicker, this means power is fluctuating rapidly, and your panel is not properly handling the levels of voltage.
- Damaged or older panels are often ill-equipped to handle the power in your home, and an upgrade is needed to restore your electrical system back to normal.
Older than 20 Years Old
- Panels tend to have a lifespan of about 20-35 years, and often during this time it begins to deteriorate, along with an inability to handle the voltage of modern homes.
- When your panel is outdated, appliances may not work at full power, and overloads tend to be common.
- If you are unsure about your panel’s age, contact an electrical professional to perform a quick inspection.
Adding A New Renovation/Appliance
- When you upgrade any part of your home that involves electricity, your electrical panel must be able to handle the electrical load.
- New appliances, builds, and renovations all require more electricity, and upgrading your panel will ensure your electrical system adapts to the required usage.
Your electrical panel is a crucial part of your home, and using this information will help determine if an upgrade is needed. If you are ready to schedule your panel upgrade with professionals you can depend on, contact The Happy Outlet today! We are Carson City’s number-one electrical company, and our electrical panel services guarantee you receive both affordability and quality for your home. Give us a call at 775-841-9473 to schedule an appointment and meet your trusted electricians.